Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Bio-degradable Sponges

I'm sure I've said this before, but I'm constantly looking at the things I throw away and always ask myself, can I recycle or re-use this, or is there an alternative? I'm so glad I found the product line Twist. They make natural, bio-degradable cleaning products so when you're done with them, you can toss them in your yard waste bin and they won't contribute to the increasing waste in our land-fills.

I bought the "Naked sponge" which works really great and keeps suds at their maximum lifespan. I also bought the "Loofah scrubby" which has a sponge on the inside and poofs up when you get it wet. It works great as well, and the natural fibers have held together well. I found them at Metropolitan Market, I'm sure they sell the same product line at other similar stores. Like most natural products, they were a couple more bucks than the non-biodegradable options, but I think it's worth it. If you don't, then I have some suggestions on how to extend the life of your kitchen scrubby sponges and bacteria free.
  • First, always rinse it well after each use, and keep it hanging on some type of rack to help it dry quickly so avoid bacteria growth.
  • To kill any bacteria, you can boil it for 10 minutes. I've also heard that you can microwave it for a few minutes, but watch it- I read 5 minutes was a good time to follow, but my sponge ended up burning so I had to throw it away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Un- what?

"Un-shit your life"- to rid your life of useless shit. This blog is a collection of hints, tips, ideas and stories that I have gathered from my family, friends, articles, the internet, rumors and life experiences. Please share your own!
 

Un-Shit Your Life | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates